In this guide, you will be shown how to access and configure the Register Update Parameters with guidance on common scenarios when Updating Register Parameters
The Register Update Parameters page can be used to configure your Registers in Bromcom, such as determining whether to allow Marks to be copied into previous (historic) Registers.
For example, you can use this function if Students do not have to attend a PM registration and you would like the Attendance Mark from a teaching period which is scheduled after the PM registration to update the PM registration Attendance Mark.
Important: the periods that AM/PM updates from have to come after AM or after PM in the period structure.
Note: There are a number of permutations to update your Registers so if you are unsure, please contact the Bromcom Helpdesk.
Access: To use the Register Update Parameters, you will need the following permissions from the Attendance Module of Config>Setup>Roles & Permissions.
From the left Menu, go to Config>Attendance>Register Update Parameters.
First select the Single Date or Multiple Dates that the settings will become active from, the Register type and the Days of the Week it applies to.
Note: Ensure that you select Multiple Dates if you wish for the settings to retain in the future, otherwise the settings will revert the next day (if you use Single Date).
- Lesson Times Threshold – used to enter the number of minutes for the Late Threshold. Then if Use Lesson Times to Update is ticked, students will get an Unauthorised Late when they go over the Threshold.
- Only Update Missing Marks – this will only update Missing Marks and not overwrite existing ones
- Update Unauthorised Marks To Authorised Marks – will update Unauthorised Marks with Authorised Marks.
- Update All Unauthorised Marks – will update Unauthorised Marks with any Mark entered. This option is not available if the Only Update Missing Marks option has been selected
- Update Mirror Marks for All Types of AM/PM – AM/PM registration will be updated every time a mark is updated within the dropdown periods. This doesn’t work unless the Only Update Missing Marks option has been selected. This will Mirror the actual Mark added.
Update AM Registers from Periods:
- Min AM Period to Update – this dropdown list shows the Periods before PM registration, select the first Period that the Marks will be copied from
- Max AM Period to Update – this dropdown list shows the Periods before PM registration, select the last Period that the Marks will be copied from or N/A if using the minimum Period to copy from.
- Mirror AM – this will give a dropdown menu with all Codes listed, select the Code and click Add to add it to the Mirror Marks list on the right or highlight the added Code and click Remove to remove it from the Mirror list
Update PM Registers from Periods:
- Min PM Period to Update – this dropdown list shows the Periods before PM registration, select the first Period that the Marks will be copied from
- Max PM Period to Update – this dropdown list shows the Periods before PM registration, select the last Period that the Marks will be copied from or N/A if using the minimum Period to copy from
- Mirror PM – this will give a dropdown menu with all Codes listed, select the Code and click Add to add it to the Mirror Marks list on the right or highlight the added Code and click Remove to remove it from the Mirror list
When finished click the Save button.
Register Update Parameters can be reconfigured and changed throughout the Academic Year but it is important to note that the Settings selected will apply to the Whole School and only one set of Parameters can be active at a time.
Scenario – Updating attendance for late Students
Below is a scenario which is commonly requested that you may find applicable.
For Schools who have an AM registration Period before Period 1, the Register Update Parameters can be used to mark Students who were Late/Absent from AM registration by using the Period 1 Register.
So if a Student receives an N Code (No reason provided) in AM registration, but then they are Present in Period 1, their Mark in Period 1 will automatically update their AM Mark to an L Code (Late).
To do this, the following settings are required on the Register Update Parameters page;
- Multiple Dates selected.
- Select the Days of the Week you want this setting to apply.
- Make sure Use AM Register, Use PM Register and Use Period Register are all ticked.
Next, you need to make sure that Update AM Registers from Periods is ticked.
Lastly, set Min AM Period to Update and Late AM Period Before Reg Closed as 1.
These settings mean that a Student can have their AM Mark automatically updated based on their Period 1 Mark.
Note: If the Student is still missing/unaccounted for after Period 1, then their AM Mark will default to a U Code (Late after reg. closed).