In this guide, we will show you how to get started with the Options module, by creating an Options Setup.
Prerequisites: You must have the Options Module licenced on your MIS. The Options Module is available for all One Stop Shop customers and you can get this licenced by emailing email@example.com.
Access: Depending on which Options functions you would like staff to see/access, all of the relevant permissions are located in the Options Module of Config>Setup>Roles & Permissions (after it has been licensed).
This guide is most applicable to Curriculum Managers, Exam Officers, Timetablers and any other users involved with GCSE/Post 16 Options. This guide will cover the Options Setup page specifically which is made up of the following sections;
Once the Options module has been licensed and permissions are granted, you can access it from the side Menu. The Options module is currently broken down into three main areas;
- Options Reports
- Options Setup
As stated above, this guide will focus on the Option Setup page.
Go to Modules>Options>Options Setup.
Initially, the page will be blank so you need to press New.
This opens a pop out wizard, which is made up of five steps. Each step will be explained as you read through the guide.
1 – Setup Details
Setup Details is where you create the Options record and define the following data (any fields marked with * are mandatory);
- Name – The name of the Options record. (Please keep in mind Students/Parents will see this).
- Studies Type* – The Study type the Options relate to (GCSE/Post 16).
- Year Group* – The Year Group that the Options are being offered to.
- Options Window Open Date* – Start Date that the Options are available from.
- Options Window Close Date* – End Date that the Options are available until.
- Description – A Description of the Options record. This Description is not visible to parents or students
- Dry Run – A Setup will be fully reconfigurable up to the day before the start date. After this date, the Setup can only be viewed and not edited but may still be deleted. A Dry Run allows the user to use a cohort more than once in the academic year but the Setup cannot overlap. For example if a school runs options for Y9 from 01/01/2023 to 10/01/2023 they cannot use the students for another Setup that academic year unless Dry Run is selected. Logically this would come before the main options to test what student preferences are in advance.
Student choices to be made using is where you define how the Options are to be submitted/recorded;
- Import – Requires you to manually record and Import Student choices.
- Form – Requires Students to complete a Form with their choices.
- Student Portal – Requires Students to complete their choices via Student Portal.
- MCAS – tick to unlock the following two options, the MCAS user can only submit the choices once
- View Only – Means the Options are only visible/for display on MCAS and cannot be submitted.
- Editable – Means the Options are Editable/can be submitted via MCAS.
Note: You can select more than one choice for how the Options are submitted/recorded if you wish.
Once these details are all entered, press Next.
2 – Select Pupils
Select Pupils is where you define which Pupils you are offering the Options to.
It works by ticking the desired Pupils on the left side of the page and then using the right arrow in the centre of the page. This will move the desired Pupils over to the Selected pupils panel on the right.
Note: It is possible for Pupils to be reused or be part of multiple Options Records.
Once you have chosen your Students, press Next.
3 – Subject Configuration
Subject Configuration is where you add the Subjects you will be offering in the Options, either as a Core or Option(al) Subject.
It works by pressing Add New Subject.
Once you press Add New Subject, tick the desired Subjects and then use the Tick on the right to confirm the selection.
To remove an added Subject, use the bin icon under the Actions heading against the Subject.
Once the desired Subjects are added and you have marked them as Core or Option, press Next.
4 – Subject Grouping
Subject Grouping is where you can sort the previously added Subjects in to Subject Groups.
For example, if you selected Art, Drama and Music, you could create a Subject Group called Arts where they would all sit and provide one Group of Options. Subjects can be added to more than one Subject Group
To begin, press Add New Subject Group.
Then type the desired Subject Group Name, select which Subjects you wish to add to the Subject Group and use the tick to confirm your selections.
Once you have created your Subject Groups, press Next.
5 – Setup Rules
The final stage of the process is Setup Rules. This is where you would specify how the Options can be picked based on how they have been grouped.
You can choose from a selection of Rules at the bottom of the page, please keep in mind that Parents may also have access to this if you selected MCAS at the start of the process;
- Pick N Choices from Group X – Allows the student to pick N Choices from within a Subject Group (N is a number that you can define).
- Choose only 1 item from Group X – Allows the student to select one Option from the Subject Group (you can have multiple Subject Groups).
- Choose at least 1 item from Group X – Allows the student to select at least one Item from the Subject Group (You can choose which Subject Group, X refers to).
- Choose all items from Group X or none at all – Allows the student to select all or none of the items from the chosen Subject Group.
- Choose 1 item from each Group – Allows the student to select one Option from each Subject Group (this selection is good if the Options are grouped by Departments like Sports or Science ). If selected this will default the Groups for this rule to be ALL Groups so there is no requirement to set up individually.
- Ignore maximum of N Groups – Allows the student to ignore (skip) making choices for a specific number of Subject Groups. This would be normally used for 6th form where there may be 5 Subject Groups but only 3 Options to choose.
Once you have added a Rule, use the tick on the far right to confirm the selection.
Once you are happy with your Rule(s), press Submit.
This will create the Options record and provide you with a success notification.
You will then also be able to view the Options record below.
Once the Options Record is created, you also have the ability to create copies it by ticking the desired Options Record and pressing Copy. Creating a Copy for the same year group will remove the students and will offer the next available start date after the end date of the setup.