In this guide we will cover the process of creating a Message Template which can be used at a later point to streamline how Schools communicate with Students/Contacts.
If you are using a Message Template in a Watchlist be aware that the Dynamic Fields available depend on the Monitor By choices when you create the Watchlist.
- Create a Message Template
- Edit a Message Template
- Inserting images into Email Message Templates
- Message Templates in Watchlists
You can see an Overview of Sent Messages in Modules > Communication > Communication > Overview and/or Sent Messages if needed.
Access: the minimum permissions for Message Templates is found in the Communications module from Config>Set Up>Roles and Permissions
Create a Message Template
From the left Menu go to Config > Communication > Message Templates.
This will open the Message Template page.
To create a new Message Template click on the New button. This will open the Message pop-up, where you can enter the Message details.
Complete the information, with mandatory fields marked with an *
- Message Name – this will be used to identify the Template when you go to use it later on
- Language – pick from a dropdown
- Note that this is not a translation feature and languages have to be written in that language.
- Message Type – whether this will be a SMS Message Template or an Email Message Template. If selecting SMS, simply enter your message into the text box;
- If selecting Email – Plain Text or Email HTML, you will have all the same fields but with an additional Subject field. Email – Plain Text will also give a character count.
- The Dynamic Fields list can be used to add Dynamic information which will auto populate in the message such as Title, Name or School Name. IMPORTANT : If creating a Message Template from within a Watchlist then the Dynamic Field choices will depend on choices made in Monitor by in the Watchlist, see the section on Message Templates in Watchlists in this guide.
When you’re finished click Save.
Edit a Message Template
Once saved, you can now Edit the Message Template from the Message Template Page by double clicking on the Template or selecting the Template and clicking the Edit button.
To make a Copy of the Template change the Name and click the Save As button.
An example of where you might use this feature is to be able to send the same message in other Languages.
To identify which Languages have been used to write a given Message Template, press Edit after selecting that Template and click on the Language Dropdown.
There will be a tick (√) next to Language version available for the selected message.
Inserting Images into Email Message Templates
When editing or creating a new Message Template, there are two available methods if you need to also include an image.
Note: These methods only apply to Message Templates that are created as an Email – HTML Message, they will not work if the Message Template is Email – Plain Text or SMS.
- Copy/Paste – This method allows you to copy an image and paste it directly in to the Message section of the Message Template
- Direct Linked Imaged – This method allows you to insert a linked image by using the Insert Image icon within the Message Template
To begin, click anywhere within the Message field of the Message Template. A toolbar will then appear above containing lots of options, select the Insert Image icon.
Next, you will then need to provide/paste the link for the image, as well as the Width/Height you wish the image to be in pixels.
When complete click the Insert button.
You can now enter your message around the image and even adjust the position of it by cutting and pasting it after your text if desired.
Note: The advantage of using linked images is that it reduces the size of the email because the image isn’t actually embedded into the message, and also if you update the image the image will be updated in the Template which it wouldn’t be if you use an embedded image.
Message Templates in Watchlists
Go to Config>Communication>Watchlists. In the example screenshots below we are editing a Watchlist Message Template.
Click on a Watchlist and click Edit
When choosing and editing a Message Template in a Watchlist the Dynamic Field choices depend on the choices made in the Monitor By section within the Operational Settings panel.
In the example below we have created a Watchlist and in Operational Settings from the Monitor By drop down we have chosen Attendance Code = N
In the Delivery Settings panel click on either the + symbol to create a new Message Template or the spy glass symbol to view/edit a pre chosen or pre created Message Template.
Then scroll down the Dynamic Fields to see 3 Attendance choices, you will be offered these 3 Attendance choices if you were to choose Attendance Meaning in the Monitor By section as well.
When Monitor By = Behaviour Event is chosen the following Dynamic Fields are available in the Message Template.
When Monitor By = Behaviour Action is chosen the following Dynamic Fields are available in the Message Template.
When Monitor By = Detention Awarded or Detention Scheduled is chosen the following Dynamic Fields are available in the Message Template.