Note: All pages below are subject to having relevant Roles and Permissions.
Users can use Quick Reports to create a Student or Staff table report quickly and easily with very little prior training. Also use Advanced Mode in Quick Reporting to add Attendance, Assessment and Behaviour information with the option to add Calculation columns if required.
See also How to Create a Simple List Report.
In this guide we will look at:
- Default View
- Column Heading Functions
- Data Items Symbols
- Search for Students or Staff to report on
- Advanced Mode
From the left Menu go to Reports > Adhoc > Create New Report > Quick Report.
By default the Quick Report screen opens with a table to show Student Information on Student ID, Preferred Last Name, Preferred First Name, Admission Number and Year Group Name with the Count of Students on the bottom of the table. This report is shown as an Unsaved Report.
Column Heading Functions
Right click on any Column Heading to Rename or Remove the Column, or left click to drag & drop the Column to a different position on the Quick Report.
To Filter on Column Headings, select the White Filter funnel on the Column Heading and select one or more Filters to Filter the report.
Data Items Symbols
There are five symbols visible in the Data Items table these are:
- Add Selected Data Items to the table
- User Defined Fields
Add Selected Data Items to Table: The Data Items already in the table are coloured blue in the Data Items list. Double click on a single Data Item in the list to add it to the Unsaved Report. To add multiple Data Items select more than one and click on the Add Selected Data Items to Table icon.
User Defined Fields: Click on the UDF symbol to show User Defined Fields in the Data Item list. Double click on a single UDF in the list to add it to the Unsaved Report. To add multiple UDFs select more than one and click on the Add Selected Data Items to Table icon.
Search: Click on the Search icon to display the Search box. Type into the Search box to locate items in the Data Items list.
Favourites: Click on the Favourite Star icon to shorten the Data Items list to those that you have set as Favourites.
Move the mouse pointer over a Data Item to show the Favourites Star icon, click on this to add that Data Item to your Favourites. A confirmation pop-up will appear to confirm the Data Item has been added.
Maximise/Minimise: Select this icon to expand the Data Items list to make the Description, Tag and Use columns visible in the Data Items list, click the icon again to Minimise to the Default View.
Note: Use the Filter Funnels on the column headings to select and Filter the column further, by Name, Description, Tag or Use.
Use the Save button to Save the Report or use the Actions dropdown to Save As. Give the report a Title and Description and define which report Folder Name you would like the Quick Report to be saved in. Under the Inheritance dropdown chose to either Inherit Folder Permissions or Custom Permissions and choose the Roles that can access to the report. Click Save to complete.
Export Report: On the Actions dropdown select Export Report to Export your report to Excel. The report can then be saved locally. The Export Report function is also available within the Report Field itself with the Download icon.
Note: When Student or Staff Photographs are used within a report these will also be Exported to Excel.
Select Close to close Quick Reports. If there are any unsaved changes you will be prompted to Save or Discard them.
Search Students or Staff to Report On
By default Quick Reports opens with all current Students (Basic) showing in the report.
Select from the dropdown list to display the Data Items available to display in the report.
Use the Magnifying Glass icon to further Filter the list. Select the required Students/Staff and Done to return to Quick Reports.
Note: the Magnifying Glass icon is only displayed for the Students (Basic) and (Staff Basic) options.
When selecting Students or Staff you also have the option to create a Saved List. Click on the Floppy Disk icon in the top right corner of the Student/Staff Selector.
Give the Saved List a name and these will now appear when selecting the Saved Lists icon when searching for Students or Staff.
When first opening Quick Reports the Advanced Mode is not selected, click on the Advanced Mode toggle button to go into Advanced Mode.
Once selected the view will change with the Data Items still visible and the Advanced Mode now selected and visible.
Click the + icon below Advanced Mode, this will display options that can be added, Attendance Summary, Assessment Results, Behaviour Summary, Calculated Column, Group Information or If Then Else Column.
Add Attendance Summary
- Column Label – enter a Column Label that will appear in the Quick Report
- Attendance Result – choose either Attendance Meaning or Mark
- Att. Meaning* – click to select one or more Attendance Meanings or Attendance Marks
- Period Type – choose the Period Type/s
- Display Result – as a Percentage or Count
- Interval – choose the Interval from the dropdown, this defaults to Academic Year YTD (Year to Date). If selecting Custom Date Range enter the from and to dates as required
- Relative Year – choose the Relative Year from the dropdown
Click Add to add the column to the Quick Report or Close to return to the Advanced Mode view of Quick Reports.
Add Assessment Results
- The Column Label is system generated dependent on the choices made in Add Assessment Results
- Assessment Type – choose one or more Assessment Types
- Term – choose one or more Terms
- Year Group – choose one or more Year Groups
- Subject: choose one or more Subjects
- Assessment Attribute – select from dropdown list
- Insert Order – By Assessment Type to group all the Assessment Type columns for different Subjects together or By Subject to group all the Maths Assessment Type columns together
In this example 2 Assessment Types and 2 Subjects have been chosen so this will add four columns to the Quick Report, grouping the Maths and English together.
Add Behaviour Summary
- Column Label – enter the required name for the Column Label
- Tabs – choose either Events or Detentions
- Attribute – select from dropdown, selecting Event will display the Event* option
- Events – select one or more Events using the Ctrl key or click the <Select All> option
- Summary Type – choose either Count Events or Sum Points
- Interval – choose the required Interval from the dropdown, if Custom Date Range is chosen then select from the Date Range
- Attribute – choose the Attribute from the dropdown
- Detention Type – select one or more Detention Types using the Ctrl key or click the <Select All> option
- Detention Mark – Choose All Marks, Present (/) or Not Present (not /)
- Interval – choose the required Interval from the dropdown, if Custom Date Range is chosen then select the from the Date Range
Click Add to add the Behaviour Column to the Quick Report.
Add Calculated Column
Select this to reference 2 different Data Items with a chosen Operator. Note the combined Data Items will put 2 Data Items side by side in the same column.
For example the difference between 2 different Attendance Columns for different Periods in the school year to show how Students Attendance has changed.
- Add Group Information – select this option to add Group Information to a column
- Group Type – choose from the dropdown Teaching Class, Club, Intervention, Report Group or Withdrawal Group. If Teaching Class is selected, choose the name of the Subject and under Membership Attributes choose from the drop down list.
In the above example this will create 4 Columns as 2 Subjects have been chosen and 2 Membership Attributes.
For all other Group Types select the Name/s of the required Group/s.
Click Add to add the Group Column/s.
Add If Then Else Column
- Column Label – enter the name of the Column Label
- Data Item – choose the Data Item column from the columns present in the Quick Report to apply the If Then Else Formula to
- If Result – define the IF Result from the dropdown choices and enter the Text required for the Then and Else
For example If Greater Than 95 then Above Else Below. This will produce one column populated with either Above or Below dependant on the Data in the Data Item Column in the Quick Report.
Use the White Box with the Red Line to choose a colour if required to colour the Text Background box in the column.
Add further If formulas if required with the Blue + icon
Click Add to add the Column to the Quick Report or Close to return to the Quick Report.