In this guide, you will be shown how to Create, Edit and View User Defined Flags.
Access: The minimum permissions required to create User Defined Flags are found in the Administration Module of Config>Setup>Roles & Permissions.
User Defined Flags are visual aids you create in Bromcom that appear on Registers or Student Records to act as an indicator/highlight against a Student who potentially has additional needs or medical conditions etc. You can also filter by User Defined Flags in Reporting.
An example could be a school creates a User Defined Flag for Free School Meals Students that shows as a Green Flag on the Student Record and Registers. In addition you can create a User Defined Flag that references a Dynamic Report Group for example Pupil Premium Boys in Year 11
Create a Flag
From the left Menu, select Config>Administration>User Defined Flags.
From the User Defined Flags page, click on the New button
For previously created Flags click on the Count to see a list of the Students included in the Flag. Use the Grid Actions to print, copy or export a list of the Students. Click on the column headers to sort the list.
This will open a new section on the right of the page.
The new User Defined Flag can now be created from this section by adding all of the relevant details.
Note: All fields with * next to them are mandatory.
A User Defined Flag can be one of three types;
- Data Field – Assigns the Flag to Students based on a Data Field, such as Pupil Premium, SEND, EAL etc.
- UDF (User Defined Field) – Assigns the Flag to Students with a User Defined Field assigned. see: Creating a User Defined Field.
- Group – Assigns the Flag based on a Group within the MIS including Reporting Groups.
The other fields you can populate are;
- Name – enter a Name for the Flag.
- Description – enter a Description for the Flag.
- Flag – select a shape/symbol and a colour for the Flag. Tip: for the colour of the flag make this a strong colour so it shows on a white background,
- Tooltip Text – enter what will be seen when you hover over the Flag (it is advisable to make this as descriptive as possible).
- Active – ticking this makes the Flag available to use/active.
Once you are happy with all of the details for the Flag, press Create.
Note: The Flag below is just an example and may not be suitable to replicate.
Once the Flag is created, you will then be able to see it in the User Defined Flags table.
View a Flag
Please be aware that once created the flags will appear on the registers the next day once the system has done its update.
Once the Flag is created, it will apply to all of the Students that automatically meet the criteria so please bear this in mind.
It will appear at the top of the Student’s Record.
It will also be visible on any registers that the Student is part of.
If you need to amend the Flag at any point, simply return to Config>Administration>User Defined Flags.
Once you are there, click on the Flag and you will be able to edit it using the section that appears on the right of the page.
Press Save to store the changes you have made.