Note: All pages shown in this guide are subject to having relevant Roles & Permissions.
In this guide we are going to provide you with the following information;
What are Roles & Permissions
Roles & Permissions is a page located within the Config area of Bromcom (Config>Setup>Roles and Permissions)
It allows you to give Roles access to specific actions, functions or areas of Bromcom by enabling the Permission that specifically controls that action, function or area.
For example, you may have a Role on Bromcom called SENCO and the Staff with that Role now need to be able to create a Behaviour Event for a Student. You would go to Roles & Permissions and enable the specific Permission that allows Users with the SENCO Role to add a Behaviour Event.
They key thing to remember is that Permissions control what a Role can see/do, those Roles are then assigned to Users.
So when a User says ‘I need access to access the Cover Module‘, you are not giving that User access to it, you are giving their Role access to it. This means that any other User who shares that Role will also now have the same access.
Where to find Roles and Permissions
To access Roles & Permissions, you would need to go to Config>Setup>Roles & Permissions from the side Menu.
Note: If you cannot see Roles and Permissions then you will need to ask your System Administrator to enable it for you or assign you to a Role which does have access to it.
This will load the following screen where you will be presented with some options;
- New – Allows you to create a New Role manually.
- Export – Allows you to Export a Role from your system (retaining the specific permissions assigned to it).
- Import – Allows you to Import a Role to your system (retaining the specific permissions assigned to it).
For now, ignore the above and focus on the Roles drop down that says Not Selected.
Clicking on the Roles drop down will show you every Role currently on your system.
Note: Administrator is the only Role which cannot be Edited or Deleted because it has been designed especially to have total access of the system.
Once you have selected the Role you wish to Edit, two further options will appear at the top of the screen (Edit and Delete).
Pressing Edit will provide you with the Edit Role screen which is large and will be broken down in to parts to make this section easier to follow.
How to Navigate Roles and Permissions
Part One allows you to select the Module that you wish to amend Permissions for.
It will always default to Administration when the page first loads, click on it to see all of the available Modules.
Each Module and an example of what it controls is listed below;
- Administration – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Administration such as Finalise Admissions.
- Analysis – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Analysis such as PowerBI Configuration.
- Assessment – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Assessment such as View/Amend Assessment Data.
- Attendance – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Attendance such as Manage Attendance.
- Behaviour – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Behaviour such as Detention Review.
- Census – Controls actions/functions found within Modules>Census such as Learning Hours Maintenance.
- Communication – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Communication such as Watchlist Process.
- Cover – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Cover such as Special Event Codes.
- Curriculum – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Curriculum such as Tutor Group Promotion.
- Diary – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Diary such as Manage Equipment.
- Dinner – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Dinner such as Meal Definitions.
- Examination – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Examination such as Seating Organisation.
- Finance – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Finance such as Cost Centre Ledger Links.
- Framework – Controls actions/functions found within the Framework areas of Bromcom. These include Students, Staff, Groups, Others (all found via side Menu), Versions and About (both found via User Profile Menu).
- MCAS – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>MCAS such as Requested Changes.
- Profile – Controls actions/functions found within the Profile area of Bromcom which is essentially the Home Dashboard Staff see when they log in, such as the Attendance Dashboard or Insight Widgets.
- Reporting – Controls actions/functions found within the Reporting Module itself such as Web Merge Report.
- Report Design Permissions – This is additional sub section within Reporting and allows you to control which specific Domains (areas of data) Users can access to Report on/create Reports for.
- Setup – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Setup such as Daily Maintenance Settings.
- Student Portal – Controls actions/functions found within Modules or Config>Student Portal such as Learning Resources.
- Support – Controls actions/functions found within Config>Support>Document Templates.
Once you know which Module you need to navigate to, click on it.
Selecting a Module will amend the next section, which is a Table of Permissions contained within the Module you have chosen.
Note: This Table always shows but is controlled by the Module that you select.
You will notice that some Permissions have tick boxes the following headings;
- Access – Provides the ability to see the action/function within an area such as Actions>Send SMS/Email from the Students List page.
- New – Provides the ability to create a new record/entity within an area such as Groups>New.
- Edit – Provides the ability to amend a record/entity within an area such as double clicking on a Contact to edit their details.
- Delete – Provides the ability to delete a record/entity within an area such as the Bin icon that appears when you hover over a Contact before editing their details.
- Save – Allows you to Save a record/entity within an area such as Adding User Defined Fields.
Note: if a User says that they can see the area they want but can’t Add or Edit anything, it is highly likely that they are lacking Permissions for New, Edit or Save and only have Access.
You can also tick one/all of the five headings to tick/enable all Permissions under it should you wish.
The Third Part within Roles and Permissions is Allocated Users.
This tells you which Users within your system are assigned to the Role you are currently editing.
You can Add more Users to this Role in this area by pressing Add New User if you wish.
You can also Delete Users in this area by pressing the Red Bin Icon if you wish.
And lastly, the final Part is User Access Control.
This allows you to set specific days/times that the Users with this Role can log into the system.
You can also set specific IP Addresses (locations) that Users must to log in to the system from.
For example, if you only want Users to log in from School and not at Home, you would set the School’s IP Address in the Location Based Access Controls area on the right.
Important: Whatever changes you are making and whichever Permissions you are enabling, please ensure that you Save the page each time.
Once changes have been made to a Role, Users with that Role must log out of Bromcom completely and log back in to see the changes take effect.
A Cache or Browser refresh alone will not suffice.