Note: All pages shown below are subject to having relevant Roles and Permissions.
In this guide, you will be shown how to create a Trip and all of the various options/steps involved, which will be broken down into sections;
- Creating a Trip
- Group Details
- Basic Group Details
- Additional Group Details
- Associated Group Details
- Student Memberships
- Payment Options
- Schedule (continued)
Trips are used in Bromcom to represent/organise a School Trip that is taking place. They must first be created as a Club and then marked as a Trip, which you will be shown how to do in this guide.
Important: Please never create a Trip as a Product, Products are for physical Products only and not Trips.
Creating a Trip
To create a Trip, you first need to go to the Groups page.
From there, change the Group Type to Club.
Next, press New.
This will open the Club creation screen where you need to populate the following details of the soon to be Trip;
- Payment Type – This determines the Payment type of the Trip (Paid, Free or Running Balance). Even if your Trip is free, it is good practice to create it as a paid Trip in case later charges need to be added.
- Item Price – This determines the cost of the Trip.
- Group Name – This determines the name the Trip.
- Description – This determines the description of the Trip.
- Start Date* – This is used to determine the first date or the actual date of the Trip.
- End Date – This is used to determine the last/end date of the Trip. However, if you wish to collect payment for the Trip beyond/after the time the Trip actually takes place then the End Date here should be extended to allow for late Payments.
- Attachments – This allows you to attach a Document or File to the Trip, such as a map or itinerary.
- Linked Groups – This allows you to restrict the Trip to a specific Group/Groups of Students so that only Students within those Groups have access to it.
Once you have completed all of the required details, press Save & Edit.
This will automatically open a new tab where you will be able to configure the Trip in more detail.
The page you are redirected to is known as the Group details of the Trip and is broken down in to five panels, which each serve a specific purpose.
Basic Group Details – This panel is where you would name the Group and determine the dates of the Trip but this has already been done in the previous steps.
There is an Edit Payment Options button which will be explained further in this guide, see Payment Options.
The Display club in following section of MCAS is important and dictates where it will eventually appear on MCAS. Make sure this is set to Trips.
Additional Group Details – This panel allows you to set the Membership Limit (number of Students that can attend the Trip) and the Live on MCAS between dates which need to be entered for the Trip to be visible.
There is a tick box titled, Is a Trip?, which must be ticked. The Membership Limit must also be set even if there isn’t one.
Note: It is good practice to have a Membership Limit slightly higher than your expected number of attending Students to allow for new Students/Intakes who wish to attend.
Associated Group Details – This panel allows you to link a specific Group/Groups of Students to the Trip such as a Year Group or Report Group, meaning it is available/visible exclusively to them.
By using the magnifying glass, a Group Selector will open.
Within the Group Selector, select the Group Type or Group that you wish to link to the Trip.
Once you have clicked on the Group/Groups and they are highlighted blue, press Done.
Note: You can select multiple Groups to link to the Trip but you cannot link another Club or Trip.
The selected Group will then appear when you are taken back to the panel.
Schedule – This panel allows you to create the actual sessions of the Trip or view any Past Sessions (for past Trips).
You will need to complete all other areas of the Trip before you can add the Schedule, so please follow the guide from here and Scheduling will be explained further on.
Note: You can only set Schedule dates within the actual Start and End Dates of the Trip, so please bear this in mind.
Student Memberships – This panel allows you to add Students to the Trip in situations where their Parents do not have MCAS.
You do not NEED to do this for a Trip because it will naturally fill up as Students are booked on by their Parents, but you may need to do this for non MCAS users etc.
- If you know how to add Students or do not need to add them, skip to Payment Options.
- If you are unsure how to add a Student, continue reading the guide from here.
If you are adding Students, use the Add Multiple button to add Students in bulk.
Next, use the magnifying glass next to Student Name, which will open a Student Selector.
Select any Students you wish to add to the Trip and press Done.
A Selection List will display next to the Cancel button, drag it to the left to access the Save button.
Once the selected Students are added, you will be asked if you want to Create an order or not.
Important: As soon as an Order is created, you cannot change the Payment Options of the Trip so Do not create an Order if you are adding Students this way.
Adding Students and not creating an Order means you can still change the Payment Options of the Trip.
The Students will now appear within the Memberships area without Orders.
Parents of any added Students can now create Orders when they purchase the Trip on MCAS and you can still change the Payment Options of the Trip until the first Order is received (this will be explained further in the next section).
Now that all of the available Group Details have been added where possible, it is time to look at the Payment Options.
Before you proceed, scroll to the top of the page and press Save.
Now, press Edit Payment Options.
You will be redirected to the following screen;
Note: The Payment Option and Associated Account (destination for any Trip payments received) can be changed up until the first Order/Payment is received.
So if you decide to change the Trip from Fixed Price to Instalments, you can do this as long as there are no Orders against the Group. Once there are Orders, the Payment Option and Associated Account cannot be changed so be aware of this.
Fixed Price – The Trip has been set at a Fixed Price of £350, which must be paid in a single purchase/transaction on MCAS.
Note: Any options where Enable Offline Payment is ticked means that Parents can pay via MCAS or have the option to bring in Cash or Vouchers.
Instalments – The Trip has been priced at £350 with a £150 deposit and the remaining £200 split over four monthly Instalments.
Note: These Instalments do not have to be split equally, they can be amended to your preferred amounts and Due Dates.
Part Payments – When you press Instalments, you will notice a sub option appears called Enable Part Payment.
Using Part Payments, the Trip has been priced at £350 but Parents are able to make entirely flexible Payments against it on MCAS whenever they wish.
- Fixed Price offers the most control/least margin for error but not all Parents may struggle to pay a large sum in one transaction.
- Instalments is a happy medium and is easy to track as long as Parents meet Instalment due dates.
- Part Payments is great for Parents but would require a lot of manual management/checking.
Which option you opt for, make sure the Associated Account and price are correct, then press Save.
You will be taken back to the Group details of the Trip and can now add the Schedule which is the last step.
Within the Group details, return to the Schedule panel and press Add.
You will now be able to Schedule the Trip with the following options;
- From Date – The first Date of the Trip or first session within it.
- To Date – The last Date of the Trip or last session within it.
- Weekday – Which days the sessions will take place (our example is over two weeks so all days are selected). You can only add sessions on days you have selected here.
- Start Time – The Start time of the sessions.
- End Time – The End time of the sessions.
- Session Length – This is an automatic calculation of the minutes between the Start and End Time (11 hours = 660 minutes).
- Main Teacher – This is the Main Teacher leading/running the Trip.
- Location – This is used to set the location of the Trip, if it is offsite any location is fine.
- Associated Teachers – This is used to add any additional/supporting Teachers attending the Trip.
Something to note here is that the From/To Dates of the Schedule will default to the Start and End Date of the Trip that you set at the very start of this guide.
If the Schedule does not allow you to set the From/To Dates on a desired date, you will need to amend the Start and End Date of the actual Trip to expand the Schedule.
Once you press Save Schedule, you will need to press Continue to confirm your selections.
This will add the Schedule to the Trip which can now be viewed or amended in the Schedule panel of the Trip.
Scroll to the top of the page and press Save to conclude the process for creating a Trip.
Now that a Trip has been created, there is one last step to ensure that it is visible on MCAS in the correct area.
Go to Config>MCAS>Clubs/Trip Settings.
Once the page loads, you need to ensure that both the Clubs and Trips Modules are ticked/enabled.
Note: Wraparound Care may also need to be ticked depending on the type of Trip you have created, but Clubs and Trips must be ticked.
Once the Clubs and Trips modules are both enabled, press Save.
This means that both Clubs and Trips Modules will appear on MCAS.
It also means that that future Clubs and Trips sit in their respective areas, which ties in to the very start of the guide where you set which area of MCAS this Trip will appear in.
You can now go to MCAS to verify that the Trip is visible and in the correct area.
All three sections are available and the Trip will display within Trips.
Note: If the Trip does not appear, it is likely to be due to the Live on MCAS between dates being missing or set in the future.