Note: All pages shown are subject to having the relevant Roles and Permissions.
In this guide, we will show how to carry out the process of adding an Exclusion to a Student.
To report on Student Exclusions go to Reports>Administration>Student Exclusions Report. You can also download other Exclusion Reports in our Online Report Repository see How to Use the Online Report Repository
This process begins by selecting the required Student via the Students List Page and pressing View to open their Record.
Once the Student Record is open, you would then select the Behaviour Tab from the side Menu on the left.
From there, scroll down to the Exclusions panel.
To create a new Exclusion, press the + icon on the top right of the panel.
This will open the Add/Edit Exclusion window where the following details of the Incident are available, you need to make sure you enter these correctly;
- Date of Incident – When the Incident occurred.
- Staff Name – The Staff member who has decided to Exclude the Student.
- Exclusion Type – What kind of Exclusion the Student is receiving.
- Reason – The Reason for the Student being Excluded.
- Part Time Exclusion – This allows for the Return Date and Number of Sessions for the Exclusion to be adjusted without changing each other.
- Include timetable in exclusion marking – If this is ticked, the E Codes will go into the Student’s Timetabled Classes within the Exclusion period in addition to the statutory AM/PM periods.
- Start Date – The Start Date for the Exclusion.
- End Date – The End Date for the Exclusion.
- Start Session – Whether the Exclusion Starts in the Morning (AM) or Afternoon (PM).
- Return Date – The Date that the Students returns to School AFTER their Exclusion (if they return at all).
- Sessions – How many AM and PM Sessions the Exclusion lasts for, there are two sessions in a day, ten sessions in a week and each session is 0.5 days.
Note: Per DfE Guidance, the Reason of Fixed Term is only valid for Exclusions before 31.07.2021. The Reason for suspension is only valid for Exclusions taking place on or after 01.08.2021.
Important: It is crucial that the information is correct because Exclusions can only be PARTIALLY EDITED after they have been created and saved.
Exclusions can also be affected by Inset/Non Academic Days, so please check that these are correct via Config>Curriculum>Academic Days.
Once the details of the Exclusion are correct, you would then need to scroll down and expand the next section – Contact Record for the Exclusion.
Below is where the communication details following the Incident to Parents/Governors/The LA is recorded.
Once the above sections are complete, you would lastly need to expand and complete the final section which is – Confirmation and Appeals Record for the Exclusion.
Note: The time at which you record the details for this section depends on if you are logging the Exclusion retrospectively or as it happened.
Some Schools will record everything after the process/appeal is finished, others will record the previous sections and then return to complete the following section later once they have the details (there is no wrong method).
As and when you are ready, the final section is where you record the details of the Governing Committee meeting for hearing the Appeal.
This section will change and provide different options depending on the Gov’s Decision that you select below.
Exclusion Stands – The details originally entered are upheld.
Reinstatement – The Student is to be reinstated following successful Appeal/Hearing.
After all of the required information has been entered, you can now press Save & Close.
Note: You can save throughout the process as the Save and Save & Close buttons are fixed.
You should now receive a Success Message and see that the Exclusion is Saved.
If you wish to amend/add to the Exclusion you can double click on it to return to the Edit Exclusion screen.
You will see which areas are now non editable, which is why it is crucial to ensure they are correct as you would need to Delete and Create a new Exclusion if certain details are wrong.
You can now also add an Incident Report by clicking Add Report
Add Behaviour is essentially a shortcut that allows you to assign a Behaviour Event (positive or negative) to the Student.
It is not linked to the Exclusion and does not affect it, but is more of an area where you can monitor the behaviour of the Student since the Exclusion was added.
You will now see the Behaviour Event assigned when you next Edit the Exclusion Record.
See also: https://docs.bromcom.com/knowledge-base/how-to-view-the-student-details-behaviour-page/